Friday, September 19, 2008

Post-council election gaffe-fest

It didn't take long.

Hutchville's local rag today lists our new-look council, complete with the three new faces.

In the same story, comes a gem of a quote from a successfully re-elected councillor - a person known to me and whom I quite like, but who really should have taken a look in the mirror before dropping this clanger:

It is a well-balanced council that represents a good
blend...snip
'Well-balanced' my middle ear!

Three (that I know of, could be more) out of the nine councillors are members of the Australian Labor Party (including the councillor who gave the above quote!!), and another is a member of The Greens - an outfit even more left of the ALP. I call that bordering on 'stacked', not 'balanced'.

Now, I know...people will say that party politics should be put to one side in local councils - and I totally agree - but, notwithstanding, to call this council 'well-balanced' is like calling John McCain 'middle-aged'.

No comments: