Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Local council election gets passionate

I was astounded to read in my local newspaper today of a verbal altercation between Hutchville's mayor (standing again for council) and our local state member of parliament (a member of the National Party), as to our local member's right to hand out how-to-vote cards for an Independent candidate for council, who is also a member of the National Party.

I really don't think this is a matter people need to get on their high horse about.

Our MP should be fully entitled to hand out how-to-votes for anyone they like, considering, as my MP said - and it is an important point: there was no National Party ticket line. OK, perhaps our MP should have removed their ID badge. In my view, though, our MP was, for all intents and purposes, assisting at the polling station as a private citizen. They just happen to be our local member.


Our mayor needs to take a cold shower.

As a very interested political observer, I was staggered (not necessarily in a good way) by some of the results of this election. Nevertheless, my hope is that all councillors work together in an unprejudiced manner for the betterment of this wonderful part of the world.


Post Script: I am not a member of the National Party.


No comments: