Thursday, September 18, 2008

NSW Council Elections - Results

The counting and final distribution of preferences in my LGA (local government area) were finalised today.

Out of 9 vacancies on council, the voters of this LGA have elected three new faces. Personally, that is a disappointingly modest number. I was hoping for at least four.

Of the three new faces, two of them got my vote.

But, out of the six re-elected councillors, only two got the nod from me.

The mood out there last Saturday was decidedly tense. But was it a mood for change? Council had become complacent in many areas, especially in regards to planning, and had made some very strange decisions that were seemingly at odds with council's own previous rulings.

I have spoken to several people since the voting took place, and I know many of these folk shared my concerns, and were also hoping for four or five new faces on council.

We will have to make do with three.

But, with one of the three newbies being a member of The Greens, I think there will be some very interesting debates in council over the next four years.

No comments: