Monday, March 16, 2009

Spitting image?

I am loathe to comment on this, but I will add my two cents' worth, seeing as just about everyone else has.

Pauline Hanson, inveterate political wannabe - her latest incarnation as the Independent candidate for Beaudesert - has caused a sensation in the media yet again, this time because of a series of nude and semi-nude photographs published in the Sunday Telegraph this weekend, purporting to be of her - a fact Ms Hanson denies. Although, for someone known for being a bit fratchy, she didn't deny it with the vehemence, flailing of arms, and the occasional "bloody" I would have expected from her.

I am not going to post one of the photos in question, nor am I going to add a link to the pictures, as I don't want to be served with papers. You will have to Google them for yourselves.

Having looked very closely at the photographs (far too closely for my liking), I will just say that I am very glad I am not the editor of the Sunday Telegraph.

The photographs, while resembling Ms Hanson, are seriously dodgy. Even more dodgy is the story surrounding their existence.

I have no axe to grind with Pauline Hanson. Although I disagree with a lot of what she says and would never vote for her, I think she is given a very rough ride by the media in general. But she is a very opinionated woman and does polarise people like no Australian politician or public figure in recent memory.

Nevertheless, I do not expect any of this to affect Ms Hanson's vote in the election this weekend in Queensland. Sure, she will get the odd vote from people who feel sorry for her (she would have anyway), but she will still be resoundingly defeated.

No comments: