Saturday, March 14, 2009

Earth Hour Madness

The silly season is nearly upon us. No, I don't mean Christmas. I'm referring to this hair-brained idea called 'Earth Hour'.Get a load of this drivel from the Earth Hour website:

In 2009, Earth Hour is being taken to the next level, with the goal of 1 billion people switching off their lights as part of a global vote. Unlike any election in history, it is not about what country you’re from, but instead, what planet you’re from. VOTE EARTH is a global call to action for every individual, every business, and every community. A call tostand up and take control over the future of our planet. Over 74 countries and territories have pledged their support to VOTE EARTH during Earth Hour 2009, and this number is growing everyday. We all have a vote, and every single vote counts. Together we can take
control of the future of our planet, for future generations.

How switching off your lights for one hour is 'taking control of the future of our planet' is beyond me; as is the whole notion of 'Earth Hour'.

'Earth Hour' is a classic example of people believing anything that makes them feel good. The concept doesn't challenge their intellect, but I guess it is difficult for a vacuum to be challenged.

I happen to like lights. They give me a warm, vibrant feeling. They make me think the world is still running, functioning, living, breathing, thriving. I don't want to be transported back to the 40s, and the days when people turned out their lights and snuffed out their candles for fear a bomb might land in their living room.

Dis-illumination for one hour, or any length of time, is inane and meaningless symbolism. Think about it. What are you going to achieve by turning off your lights? Nothing, save for giving credence to the dills that thought up this concept, and proselytising their cause.

The 'Earth Hour' propagandists want us to "VOTE EARTH". I suggest we all abstain, and get on with life.My own symbolic act will be for me to make sure I have a light burning brightly at 8.30pm on the 28th March.

1 comment:

Dejan said...

What is more worrying than the stupidity of it all, is that the entire world of media and officials (including Miss India) are united... I find that unity over something completely silly more threatening than any amount of actual global warming.